Planning Our Family Thanksgiving with my Recipe Box App #HPFamilyTime
As one of the HP challenges I was given was the planning of a meal to be shared by family. We are again planning a family Thanksgiving in Florida with our two daughters and their families but this year it will be different. We have decided to have two different versions of turkey. One will be the traditional one and one will be a Cuban turkey recipe called Turkey Mercedes that I found on Allrecipes.com using my HP ENVY 23-d150xt TouchSmart All-in-One Desktop PC. This recipe will share the table with my daughter’s traditional Turkey with her Famous Pepperoni Stuffing . I used the HP Recipe Box App to create my portion of the menu to be shared with my daughters. It was extremely easy to use.
I thought this recipe for a Cuban style Mercedes Turkey (compliments of AllRecipes.com) would be a fun change and who doesn’t want two turkeys?
Cuban Style Mercedes Turkey (adapted from AllRecipes.com)
- Start with one 16 lb turkey.
- 3 heads garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 cups fresh lemon juice 1 cup dry white wine
- ½ (12 oz can)frozen orange juice thawed
- Crush the peeled garlic cloves, and place into a large bowl. Season with pepper, cumin, oregano, and salt. Pour in lemon juice, wine, and orange juice concentrate; whisk together until well mixed.
- Using a sharp paring knife, pierce the turkey breast, thighs, and legs; creating holes for the marinade to penetrate. Pour the marinade over turkey, and into the holes. Finally, stuff garlic pieces into the holes. Cover the turkey well, and refrigerate overnight to marinate.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Roast turkey in the preheated oven until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the thigh measures 180 degrees F (80 degrees C), about 5 hours. Baste the turkey every 30 to 45 minutes. Once the breast has browned, cover loosely with aluminum foil to prevent it from becoming burnt.
I have saved three recipes to my HP Recipe Box and made a grocery list for the things we will need to create them. It was as simple as a quick click of the mouse and my ingredients quickly were moved to my shopping list! My daughter has practically every spice you can think of and then some as she is a gourmet cook so I really don’t need much. I saved a deviled egg recipe that sounded good too as she has backyard chickens so all we have to do is go out to the coop for our eggs.
My third recipe is for my daughters Pepperoni Stuffing which is a delicious twist on traditional stuffing and one that my family loves.
There are sure to be many surprises when each family brings a dish that is special to their Thanksgiving tradition. Thank you HP for making our family time special.
As part of a program through HP our family was given an HP Envy 23 but not only were we given an HP Envy 23 but my mom (Mary) and step-dad were given one as well so that we could have #HPFamilyTime even though they are in NY and we live in FL. My mother is 72 years old and although she would probably disagree and then laugh, she is not the most computer savvy person in the world. After she had the computer for about a month I gave her a couple challenges to use some of the features and apps to plan our next family vacation and our Thanksgiving dinner. Family travel is one of our favorite things and it’s always better when it brings the family together for the holidays! This was her creation…