This past weekend my husband and I went to Lennox Mall to walk around and window shop. I think it has been about six years since we have been to a mall together so we had no idea that the majority of the stores wouldn’t be open at 11am on a Sunday. We literally window shopped since there were only about 6 stores in the entire mall that were actually accessible. However, I’m not going to complain. It was kind of nice walking around when there weren’t many people and the Christmas music playing in the mall totally put me in the holiday spirit. There is just something about Christmas music and malls….
Since I want to stay in the holiday groove I thought I would share some of the things that put me in the holiday spirit in hopes that you will share some as well.
Things That Put Me In The Holiday Spirit
1. Making (and smelling) fresh baked Christmas cookies. I LOVE Christmas cookies. I’m even going to feature some bloggers this December with their cookie recipes (email me if you are interested in being featured).
2. The sound of train horns. When I was little my grandmother lived down the road from some train tracks in a small town in Upstate NY. I can remember being at her house on Christmas morning and hearing the train blowing it’s horn as it crossed over the intersection. Did you know they even sell train horn kits that you can buy for your car?
3. Decorating. Confession – we do not have a Christmas tree and we haven’t had one (other than a 2 foot Charlie Brown tree – as seen in photo) in years. This year I am buying a tree if I have to sell my soul (well, not really my soul). Decorating for Christmas and hanging lights just makes me feel good.
4. Drinking eggnog. Nutmeg mandatory, alcohol optional.
5. Black Friday. Black Friday is the first day I actually purchase gifts and there is nothing that makes me feel better than purchasing gifts for others. I do, however, have a difficult time not giving them out when I get home.
6. Driving around looking at Christmas lights. I love finding neighborhoods that go all out with decorations.
7. Christmas Carolers. When I was young groups of people would show up at our door singing Christmas carols. I even did it a few times with groups of friends. It was an awesome experience but I don’t think people do that any more, do they?
8. Hickory Farms. As soon as I see that kiosk in the mall or commercial on television for Hickory Farms I know it’s Christmas.
9. Donating to charity or other socially responsible action. Volunteering in the food kitchens, giving toys to charity, or participating in the food drive always puts me in the holiday spirit.
I could probably go on forever with things that put me in the holiday mood, but I would love for you to share some of the things that put you in the holiday spirit instead. Please do tell!