Menopausal symptoms can make your life horrible. But the good news is that there are solutions out there. With HRT, you can treat menopausal symptoms and get your normal life back.
What is Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Once menopause strikes, the level of estrogen falls drastically. Some women experience vaginal dryness, hot flashes, difficulty sleeping, as well as other symptoms. HRT is a range of procedures used to treat these menopausal symptoms. However, before going for one, it is essential to search and understand some of the benefits and risks involved.
The Benefits of HRT
1. It Boosts Overall Bone Health
HRT that goes through your entire body might protect you from serious health risks caused by menopause – studies have found that HRT is an effective treatment for osteoporosis. They do this by:
- Reducing the loss of calcium from the bones, thereby improving the bone strength through mineral density
- Directly promote the growth of new bones
- This reduces the chances of an osteoporotic structure by up to 50%.
2. May Reduce Risk of Stroke and Heart Disease
Hormone replacement therapy has the additional benefit of reducing the risk of stroke and heart disease in women. It does this in the following ways:
- Relaxing the smooth muscle, thereby lowering blood pressure.
- Causing the smoothness of arterial vessel walls. Usually, fragments of fatty deposits are known to irritate arterial vessels that might lead to strokes and heart attacks.
- Bringing about a positive effect on cholesterol levels, by lowering LDL and boosting HDL cholesterol.
- Promoting the metabolism of carbohydrates and is also beneficial in managing diabetes.
Note that with Systemic HRT, you can reduce the chances of suffering Alzheimer’s disease, colon cancer, and rheumatoid arthritis.
3. Improves the Symptoms of Menopause
Other than dealing with health risks, HRT can also help with symptoms of menopause.
- It can get rid of night sweats and hot flashes. It starts by reducing the frequency before the symptoms go away completely.
- HRT is excellent for enhancing sleeping patterns to improve your overall health. Mood instability is typical when one hits menopause. HRT might be the best solution for it.
- It gets rid of the symptoms associated with vaginal dryness as well as urinary symptoms.
- It also removes the discomfort felt during sex, thereby increasing interest in sexual intercourse.
4. Improves Confidence
Most women lose self-confidence when they suffer the symptoms of menopause. This is sometimes associated with an inability to satisfy their spouse and even maintain a stable family. If the symptoms are improved and a healthy lifestyle is restored, they start feeling confident and satisfied with life overall – studies have shown women have a decreased risk of depression when on HRT.
Note that the symptoms vary from person to person. One woman is unlikely to suffer all the symptoms mentioned, but they might encounter a combination of two in some instances. If you suffer joint pains during menopause, then HRT might be a good solution, but be sure to consult a healthcare professional before starting treatment.
While HRT works, it needs to be taken at the right time. The benefits mentioned in this article are evident in women who use Hormone Replacement Therapy through the menopausal transition. This period is known as “the window opportunity,” and it can be extremely stressful. If you do not take HRT in the window opportunity, the infections and disease precursors might have advanced already and may not be impacted by the therapy.