Now that it’s officially summer, vacations and outdoor activities are in the forecast for many pet owners. Keep reading for a few tips from your friends at Petcurean for keeping your dog healthy and happy during those hot and steamy summer days.
- Keeping Hydrated: While dogs should have access to fresh water at all times, this is even more critical in the summer months when dehydration can happen rapidly due to the hotter temperatures. Be sure to pack water and a collapsible water bowl when out on the trails, and have fresh water available whether at the beach or playing in the yard.
- On the Road Again: When road tripping, be sure to plan your dog’s diet before you leave home. If you are travelling for only a few days, bring enough food and treats (Petcurean’s SPIKE treats are a great on-the-go treat) for the duration of your trip to prevent digestion issues. If you’re planning to be traveling for days, weeks or months, you may need to purchase dog food while you are away – many pet food brands offer store locators on their website so that you can plan where to get your dog’s next meal.
- Hot Weather Safety: Dogs can burn in the sun just like people can. White, light-colored, and thinly coated dogs are particularly prone to sunburn, so be sure to regularly apply a waterproof sunscreen formulated for babies or pets. Find a shady spot to place a cool mat for your dog whether in your yard, at the beach, or during trail breaks. Also, outside surfaces can heat up quickly in the summer sun and can burn your dog’s footpads. Walk your dog in the morning or evening, or in shaded areas or test surfaces before venturing outside by pressing your hand to the surface for 30 seconds. If it is painful for you, it will also be painful for your dog.
- If your pet can’t join the trip, check out these tips for selecting a pet sitter:
- Pet Friendly vacations: http://www.petcurean.com/blog/summer-vacations-can-include-the-family-pet/