Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Dr Pepper/Snapple via MomTrends. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions of Dr Pepper/Snapple or Momtrends.
Until I can arrange travel plans, I will continue to experience Mexico through food and drink. I think true appreciation of a culture starts with cuisine. Through eating a meal or drinking a drink you can learn a lot about the history and culture of a destination. When I try something new it’s not just about tasting flavors, for me, it is a full sensory experience. A little passion mixed with imagination and you too can be whisked away to somewhere you’ve never been.
One of the most popular drinks in Mexico is the Michelada. Born in Mexico, this recipe quickly spread to the rest of the world. Due to its unique flavor and how simple it is to make, it has earned global recognition. In the US we celebrate this iconic drink on July 12th and what better way is there to celebrate than to make your own Michelada? To experience an authentic Michelada first hand all you need is a few ingredients. After having a few this weekend, I believe the Michelada is the perfect antidote for hot and humid summer afternoons.
- 4 cups Clamato®
- 4 cups Mexican lager beer (Modelo is typical)
- 1 tsp. hot sauce, more or less to taste
- 1 ½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- Juice of one lime
- Tajín seasoning for the rim
- Take about a tablespoon of Tajín (or salt) and sprinkle it on a small plate. Rub a slice of lime around the rim of the glass and then press the rim in the Tajín to salt the rim.
- Mix Clamato®, lager, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and soy sauce in a large pitcher. If you used Tajín to salt the rim, pour any excess from the plate into the pitcher.
- Fill glasses with ice, add Michelada mixture.
- Garnish with a slice of lime and celery and enjoy!
Did you know that Clamato® belongs to the Dr Pepper Snapple Group family? I didn’t realize it until recently and I’ve written for them for years on their Let’s Play website. In fact Dr Pepper Snapple Group is the leading producer of flavored beverages in North America and the Caribbean with more than 50 brands under their umbrella. They also have 6 of the top 10 non-cola soft drinks and 13 of their 14 leading brands are No. 1 or No. 2 in their flavor categories. Check back later this month or early in August when I share more about their A&W Rootbear brand. More beverages that fall under their umbrella are 7UP, A&W, Canada Dry, Clamato, Crush, Hawaiian Punch, Mott’s, Mr & Mrs T mixers, Peñafiel, Rose’s, Schweppes, Squirt and Sunkist soda. To learn more about our iconic brands and Plano, Texas-based company, please visit www.DrPepperSnapple.com.
Which are your favorites?